Monday, November 22, 2010

Dress For Success

Clothes make the man, or in this case, the woman. With reentering the work force, my mommy clothes don't see the light of weekday anymore. To successfully minster to the people I meet, I must put on professional sincerity.

Last night I was tasked with speaking to the high schoolers who have signed up to be Revolution peer volunteers. High schoolers, I have one of my own. And thankfully we communicate just fine one on one, talking, texting, email, even FB. But to speak to 100 of them at once; mostly strangers. I had to engaged them immediately, or I would lose them in whispered side conversations. What to wear? Not business sincere...

I chose to armor myself with my old and trusted Goofy sweatshirt. Five years ago, Goofy saved the evening when an April chill threatened my Mousie fun. Goofy, bright and colorful -- an entity unto himself but also an adjective. A high school ice breaker, as they listen about the Revolution and wonder -- Is this woman for real? Is she really goofy?

Yea, for real; doubly yea, very goofy; but not that Goofy. And the high schoolers -- engaged and ready for the day.

No comments: