Friday, June 03, 2011

Rest Assured: They Notice


We live is what is reported to be the largest town in the United States. Until recently, I had forgotten it is a town with all its hustle and bustle. And what brought me up short were three very separate events in the span of 2 days where it was made apparent: people notice.

1. At work. A woman came into the office requiring assistance with her husband's military marker. I knew who she was and remembered her husband. Offering to help, I asked, "Where's George?" As she drove us to his resting place, she mentioned, "I see you with your daughters. Your oldest must be graduating high school this year. And your middle one has shot up like a bean pole. You have a done a lovely job with them." I was taken aback.

2. We had the trees cut down in front of our house. As I walked to the school to pick up one of my girls another parent, who I've seen around town but our children don't play together said, "Hey, you had some pretty big doings going on at your house today. Those trees were huge." I didn't even think he knew who I was, never mind knew where we live.

3. While waiting for a daughter's music lesson to finish I dozed off in one of the backroom chairs. Through the fog I heard someone calling my name. It was another parishioner from our church. When I said, "I can't believe I fell asleep," she replied, "I'm not, you do everything."

People notice.

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Or, God notices and he uses people to say thank you.

Patty Hebert said...

Just maybe... :-)