Friday, September 16, 2011

I could live here...

On any given day, even if you wake me in the middle of a great dream, to ask, "If you could live anywhere, where would you live?" The answer is always the same, "Close enough to Disney World to work there." Ideally, I would want to ride my bike to work. Sounds good. Sounds like a plan. But...

When we are up at the Shack, actually for the past 14 years we have been visiting family in Wallingford, I have been saying, "Let's move up here." See the slight problem.

Now add Paris to the mix. After four hours of layover (heading home from Madrid), speaking french, hearing french, reading french, eating a french pastry, thinking a bit in french, and I'm all set to gather my checked baggage and head into the city proper. Yes, I could live there, and almost lived there a lifetime ago. Oh how I miss Paris.

And Bainbridge Island, Washington. Hometown of my dear heroine, Sarah Cahill, and of my dearer friends the Hufnagles. Camping, ferry rides, biking, sea kayaking, watching the fish being tossed around at the market. Well, that's in Seattle, but you get the point. Yes, I could definitely live there too.

So what gives? Am I suffering from a multiple personality disorder? I suspect not. Still Paris is a far cry from the Shack, and Bainbridge Island practically on the other side of the globe.

And what will I do at Disney? I want to be a greeter. I want to be that someone who stands on Main St. and waves hello wearing a big Mickey glove, (I already have a set.). I can't wait to offer to take that special family photo, or to help a lost family find their way. I'm there. And how did I decide that?

This past weekend, when we would stop to rest trailside, I relished greeting the hikers that were passing by. "Good Morning! Great day, isn't it! Enjoy your day! Good Morning! Good Morning! Beautiful day, isn't it!" I loved being in the White Mountains again. (It had been about 26 years since my last visit.) I bet I could live there... Do they have professional trail greeters? I could do that. :-)

3 comments:

jeff noel said...

One of God's great blessings is our ability to dream. Another is beauty in nature, in cities, in everything. Even another is the ability to write, which you have such a talent for. Nice post.

Patty Hebert said...

Thanks Jeff. Maybe I will greet and write for Disney. Yes, I have a dream. :-)

Anonymous said...

Dreams can come true! You would wonderful at helping to make Disney visitors' vacation dreams come true!