Monday, May 21, 2007

Does your house work like this?

We all have jobs at this house. One clears the table, loads and empties the dishwasher. Others have to clean their rooms, and pick up the dining room table. One has the mowing to contend with. Notice I said mowing, for it's another one's job, mine, to do the fertilizing, and the rest of all the other jobs that aren't listed above.

On Saturday I ran the dishwasher. It was 11:30 at night. I did it, as I worried about the oldest at a new babysitting gig. The gig was suppose to be up at 10:30. At 11:15 I called to make sure she was still alive. At 11:30 she was delivered home. But, let me get back to the dishwasher.

When I was loading it, I heard --"That's not your job." I scanned the kitchen. Dirty dishes were everywhere. Food left from lunch on the plates. It's not that we sat around eating bon bons all day. We were barely home for meals, then out the rest of the day. This weekend was a tornado of activities, and Monday and Tuesday don't look much better.

But back to the diswasher, my reply, "I can't stand this mess, and she's late."

A disguisted look followed. The dishwasher loaded, the counters wiped down, laundry folded, a babysitter home, I went to bed.

Sunday, the tornado continued. I left the house at 6:30 AM, and finally walked back in at 5 PM. All the dishes from the whole day were on the counter. I looked. My look is registered. The comment, "I'm waiting for the dishwasher to be emptied."

So, it's now Monday AM. the dishwasher is still not emptied, the dishes are even higher. But in order to start the week, to get breakfast, to make lunches, I need the counter. So who empties the dishwasher? Not the sleepy one who is still trying to catch up on sleep. It's me, the one who plows through the mess on the tables, finally puts books away, and throws out the treasures they abolutely must have after stepping over them for a solid week.

I do have my limits. I refuse to look for shoes. When the complaint comes up, I can't find my.... I reply, "I know where mine are." (Except when it comes ot my keys...) Then I ask for help... We all have our limits.

Now back to some previously unscheduled dishes.

No comments: