Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Dog

Yesterday I had a bit of company in the four footed variety. His owner called, wanting to come over to discuss one of the articles up for vote at Town Meeting. I said,"Sure." Then called back and said, "Bring my buddy."

Normally, we don't have dogs in the house. The house rule is: Dogs are animals, and animals belong outside. So until our future dog can grace the threshold and hang out in the kitchen and mudroom, we won't have one. Instead, we have doggie buddies that visit. Where these visits generally take place outside. But yesterday with the discussion of town politics, and knitting to be had, my buddy came in.

He is a good dog. A regular lover of being patted and a wonderful singer. At least once a visit there has to be a howl. It starts off low, and then builds to an all out festival of the vocal chords. Dogs and people alike, joining voices. Buddy's tail starts a wagging and the rest of us two footed howlers lose wind over laughing. Still Buddy won't cease his singing until he's told, "Okay, now... That's enough." All the while receiving a gentle hug about the neck and numerous pats of affection.

Howling is good. I find it releases tension and clears my head enough so I can mentally wade through the legalize of town politics. I guess I'll never be a Town Meeting Member, since they don't allow dogs in Town Hall.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tell us more about howling