Sunday, May 20, 2007

The Spinning and the knitting

Spin a little; knit a little.
That's all I do.

When I was blessed with these two sheep worth of wool, I saw a millions socks laid out before me. Now, after trying to teach myself to spin, I see shawls. For I'm not good enough to spin yard that is thin enough and soft enough to be worked into socks. So, I spin a little, then knit a little. Working on a shawl.

The little ones are getting into the spinning. And I let them go at it with a piece of roving, i.e. combed out washed wool. They sit and spin at the kitchen table. Always asking, "Is this good enough?" Crazy that they are asking me. Generally, I can't learn anything without being shown. And all I've learned so far, I've picked up from reading a book.

I need to see someone's hands working this miracle with a dropped spindle. In the meantime, my yarn will be on the thicker non uniform in diameter; perfect for a shawl.

No comments: