Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Gifts

Yesterday was a day for either folding back into bed, or facing head on. Through life, I've learned what you ignore today, will be staring you in the face tomorrow. So with a list in my pocket, I headed out to the door.

As I negotiated the 20 minutes of traffic, just to get off my street, I wondered what gifts would I encounter today. For I've discovered, on what seems to be the toughest days to get through there are gentle gifts sprinkled throughout.

The first gift was at the Registry. After pulling into the last parking spot in lot, I remembered I had left the checkbook at home. As I was contemplating going in, walking out was the Registry Lady in Blue. A woman who always amazes me by her shear volume of Registry knowledge. I asked, "Can I use a credit card when registering a vehicle?"

Her oracle response, "All Registry transactions must be in the form of cash or check."

I thanked her. Practically bowing, for she saved me waiting in the long greeter line to get the same answer. Making my way back to my car, I noticed the three cars vulturing for spots. Instead of wallowing in the grumps of wondering if I'd be parking in the next town when I returned, I asked myself, "What's the purpose of my leaving here? What is going to happen?"

As I drove home, I noticed three things:

1.The traffic had dissipated. The roads clear, I was back to the house in no time.
2. The Callahan Senior Center, where I should drop off a couple of fliers for Late Night Catechism, and the thought of group rates crossed my mind. At a long light, I called our Ticketmaster and left a message wondering if we could offer $5 off per ticket on groups of 10 or more.
And 3. At home, a message from Dimidis and Sons (our car mechanics extraordinaire). They would be happy to have an ad in the Late Night Catechism playbill. Good things happen.

Checkbook in hand, I was back at the Registry in record time, where I had my pick of parking spaces. And to top things off, I didn't even have time to get uncomfortable on the bench before my number was called.

My next stop was the Selectmen's Office at town hall. Last week, I had called to see if I could sell tickets for Late Night Catechism at town meeting. Their answer, "No, but if you bring in fliers, we will see that the town meeting members get them." As I walked in the door, 200 copies in hand, I was greeted by an old aquaintance. She had been working at town hall for 22 years. This being my first trip to the Selectmen's Office, I never knew. We chatted, catching up on the kids, and life. In the end, she assured me the fliers would be distributed, thought about coming to the show herself, and would even make a few more copies for the town internal mailboxes. I thanked her. I hope our paths cross again soon.

Next on the list was a cold call at a potential Late Night Catechism ad spot. As I was driving past Paramount Harley Davidson, and wondering if I should stop in to follow up on my inquiry into whether they would like a playbill ad, my cell phone started ringing. Not one who can answer a phone and drive standard, I pulled into Paramount's parking lot, parked, and answered the phone.

It was our Ticketmaster. "Yes, group rates are a great idea. Five dollars off per ticket, on groups of ten or more will work."

I told her, "Your call is a sign." That I should go in and check on the possibility of an ad. Two minutes later I was talking with the owner. One minute after that, was the hand off of the ad copy, the check and the handshake. Thank you, Paramount Harley Davidson.

Further down the road, at my destination, while waiting to speak with someone about Late Night Catechism, I found the perfect gift for a friend. This was the first time I'd been in this store, but there it was, right by door.

Next was food shopping. Where I saw many familiar faces. Listened to the constant wails of a child, and remembered the days when mine were the center of so much attention. And said a prayer for the mom, for she was the pillar of patience.

On my final approach for home, I dropped off two fliers for Late Night Catechism at the Callahan Senior Center, where I spoke with two wonderful women. The prices caught them off guard at first, but in the end we were all in agreement for a REAL BROADWAY show, prices were very reasonable. I mentioned the group discount, "Oh even more reasonable", and we parted with hopes of seeing eachother at the show.

My morning ended with a stop at my friend's to surprise her with the gift, saying, "I saw this and thought of you." Our visit was brief. She was busy moving furniture and I had to get to school for an afternoon of making electricity board games.

There is such promise to life after having a day like yesterday.
So many gifts, squeezed into so little time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me to look for the "gifts!" I really enjoyed this entry.

PrajnaD

Idiot Cook said...

Once again, I'm humbled by the talent of our Niblets. PtCakes, your writing just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Pls send this to Mr. Holmes. I'm serious. Again.

(I'm simply wowed by you, and Dowager, and SuperRob. Wowed and humbled.)