Sunday, March 04, 2007

Monday is the day

For me, Monday might as well be Santa's Christmas, my birthday, and the 4th of July -- all rolled into one. I have been looking forward to Monday since last Fall. The waiting, the anticipation, the sleepless nights of worry, all pointing towards tomorrow, Monday. Every year there is no better day.

I know I won't sleep tonight. I'll be up at 2, then 3 and finally with the alarm at 4. Then with one quick flick of the trusty butane lighter -- the boil will start. The first of the season, with hopefully many to follow.

Today, the sugar shack will be cleared of everything not needed. The prewarming grill will be set up outside. I even thought about filling the pan today so that it truly will be a quick flick of the lighter.

Since last Fall, I've dreamed of coffee steamed by the fresh scent of maple. Of waking the girls with the announcement, "We're boiling. Get up. Get dressed and come outside for breakfast." I know they have been waiting for tomorrow as well. For three days I've sent them out to tend to the buckets without me. And they head out bubbling over with joy and cooperation. We have a new tap this year and the tree is quite a producer. We will have to return to the neighbor with a generous portion of maple syrup.

Be still my heart. Tomorrow is the day or days.

2 comments:

Idiot Cook said...

I love these posts. Have fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy yourself.