Thursday, March 15, 2007

You Never Know

You never know what will happen over the course of the day. You wake up, a plan in place, and sometimes you navigate from morning to night via a straight shot and other days you wander.
Yesterday was for wandering.

A surprise trip to a pediatrician's office where all the children get dressed in their Sunday best to see the doctor. A coffee in the car with friends closer than family. A chance meeting with a woman who described herself as handicapped because she never learned to drive. Now later in life, she stays home, where she cooks, cleans, and crochets the most beautiful baby sets. Next week we'll help her tackle ebay.

During the noon hour, I recorded a music class at local school. Never have I seen students work so hard at singing. At dusk, the chance to hold a newborn. Less than a week old, she slept in my arms. Giving me a brief gift of new motherhood.

Whether you look for them or not, our days are full of gifts. Gifts we give and gifts we receive.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1:13 a.m.! Why up so early? What happened to the girls? Pediatrician's office? Lots of questions, here.

I love the prose. Creates a real sense of flowing with the moment. Just being. And yes, the "gifts" are there, when we have the "eyes" to see them!

Enjoy the rain. Love, PrajnaD

PS: Did you hear? The biopse came back. Benign! Auggie is okay!!!!

P.H. said...

My Dear PraynaD.

Wasn't one of my lovelies, but a lovely just the same.

And yes, I heard the muffin is fine. Can't wait for our next howl. Give his a distant kiss for me.

Idiot Cook said...

8Lovely post!