Friday, March 07, 2008

The Banjo

I'm finding that playing the banjo is a lot like life. Or at least it mimics my life in the fact I have trouble with transitions. But with practice, in both areas, I'm learning. At this later stage in my life, I am better at flowing from one situation to the next; better not perfect. And with playing, my fingers are getting there. I figure there is a lot of muscle memory that has to be established; mental and otherwise.

Simultaneously, fingers two and three on my left hand have to rest upon two different strings, while the index, middle and thumb on my right continue their fluid forward roll picking. Rest assured, this song and this motion is child's play in the banjoing world, but I'm willing to start small.

As I've practiced this week, when I get past the challenging measures with just the slightest of hesitations, in my head, I hear that famous moon walk phrase, "one small step for man..." or in this case, a woman, who is learning to transition.

No comments: