Friday, March 21, 2008

The Wind

I was awoken by the wind. There was a howl and then the unmistakable tone of a sap bucket hitting the ground. Eyes wide open; I laid there, toasty warm, wondering if I truly needed to be up. No boil today; there's only a gallon of sap. Then the wind howled again, and I remembered my next book -- the file open on my computer... I threw on some cast off clothes, and padded down the stairs. First to look at the buckets, and bins, then to get back into writing.

The bins were fine... maybe moved around a bit, but still in the same general area of the yard. The collection bucket had indeed been blown to the ground, but it was fine too. Still, it amazed me, like the cough of a child, or a weak half dreaming call from the other room, how the dong of a bucket stops night and starts the day.

I must have the next chapter in me; waiting to become bits and bytes of a computer file. So let's see what's in store for Sarah today.

No comments: