Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Waiting


Maple sugarmaking is a lot like life. At times, like today with this rain there is waiting. Waiting for the rain to ease, and wondering just how much of the full bucket is sap, or rain water.

There is waiting for the temperatures to get cold, and hoping the buds stay tight. A few days of warm rain could kill a season. While out collecting yesterday I noticed one of the lilac bushes was ready to pop. My only hope is its next tree neighbor Old Maple doesn't take notice.

Yesterday, as I walked from tree to tree, after I would empty the buckets, I waited to hear the ping, ping, ping, of the drips resonating inside the empty bucket; the sign of a great run.

I'm waiting until this afternoon to put on the next boil.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning!

Hope you get a chance to boil and there was not too much rain in it. The sun is said to show its lights this afternoon...

Love, M