Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Where did the time go?

Yesterday flew by... the best part, besides swimming, (personal indulgence, since I truly need to go food shopping), was having the Brownies over. I have never had so many people clambering to empty and carry the sap buckets. So much help; all packed into little first grade bodies. I invited them back to empty sap buckets any time, no worries. I better be careful, or they'll be outside the door at sun up.

At the beginning of the evening, one of the girls said, "I don't like maple syrup." I responded, "Well you've never tried ours. I think you'll be surprised." At the end of the evening, she was licking her fingers; a convert -- be still my heart.

I think they had fun, running about from tree to tree, and they all got to take home some of their very own homemade Maple Granola.

It's interesting to watch them work and to see how much their parents feel they need to help. I'm saying, "Oh, let them measure out the oatmeal and coconut," while the parents are feeling the need to make sure everything is just so, and wanting to do it for them. I learned years ago a big part of Girl Scouts is to have the girls do things for themselves. The pride they have after creating something all on their own is priceless. Besides, can you really mess up granola?

So far, this year's maple sugarmaking education count: 100 very curious minds. It has been a wonderful season.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I be maple educated #101??

P.H. said...

ABSOLUTELY! You and your wonderful little man are more than welcome to come on over. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be boiling. Can you make it?

Anonymous said...

What a lesson - learing is fun!! A lesson they will never forget, nor will they forget you...

Love, M

Anonymous said...

Yes Yes!!!! We'll be there!!!

P.H. said...

Come either 3 to 3:30 or 4:45 till 6:45.

Anonymous said...

I'll get him from school and come right over. Thank-you