Saturday, April 12, 2008

Learning

During a recently phone conversation the party of the first part, me, was explaining how I ended up staying in school till the bitter PhD end, when the party of the second part, them, replied, (and I'm paraphrasing) "Someday I'd like to go back and learn all that stuff I missed." I almost laughed, but instead said, "Yeah, learning is a great thing."

I know this from experience, and not from all those books, test tubes and computer programs I poured over some 20 years ago. I know it because since then I have learned so many things like website design, photography, writing, the planning and management of large venue events, managing the calendar of a busy household, how to reupholster kitchen chairs, making jams and preserving other foods, quilting, distance swimming, knitting, maple sugarmaking, how to insulate a house, how to paint, how to ride a motorcycle, navigation, and how to lead a Girl Scout troop. I know this because I'm learning to play the banjo, will soon learn how to make my way into Fenway (YIKES! a solo lesson for Sunday night), and I confess, while I was talking with the party of the second part, I was preparing to learn how to replace zippers in two pair of shorts and a pair of pants. (I was removing the broken zippers.) I've never done this before. But I'm willing to try; willing to learn.

There is so much time we spend out of school. If you postpone your learning until you go back, then you risk missing an awful lot of learning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

navigation? ROFL Oh man without a GPS you would be lost and we could not find you!

But I do agree with you. School learning is precious and a great foundation that I agree 99% of all people should have. But it is what they have done with the book knowledge that makes a great person.

YOU are a great person even though you do not how to drive around your neighborhood.

God Bless and Good Luck!

P.H. said...

You, sir, are treading in rough waters. GPS is only as good as the maps they feed you. Plenty of times GPS has put us in a field, (in Cleveland, in Denver, in Orlando), and we wonder what bozo is updating the maps. I am the resident map guru.

Secondly, anytime this little band of waywards heads out whether across state or country, I am the map hunter-gatherer. I don't occupy the front passenger seat, just to knit socks, you know.