Sunday, October 17, 2010

And so on and so on...

Last Christmas I received a Christmas cactus from our parish administration for volunteer work that I had done over the year. It was all wrapped up in that foil-like cellophane and when I unwrapped it, the plant fell apart. Sad. But like life, it happened.

A cactus has the property of rooting from its plant segments, so I found three plastic cups, filled them with potting soil and set up a little cactus nursery on my kitchen window sill. Over the past ten months the segments took root, and to my amazement a few days ago, I noticed flower buds forming. WOW!

Like many other things in our disposable society, I could have tossed the plant. When I mentioned to the secretary that my gift had self destructed, she offered to replace it, but I said, "No, let's see what happens." And look what happened. From the one plant, I now have three beauties.

I've been thinking about giving two away as Christmas gifts. And maybe their receivers will create new plants and then give them away, and so on and so on...

2 comments:

jeff noel said...

Just caught up on your most recent posts. Great stuff. real life in real time. Great photography too, of course.

P.H. said...

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate your stopping by and your comments.