Monday, October 11, 2010

One Last Look

Fall is upon us. The cool of the evening invades the day. Blankets scatter about the house. Hats worn on the coldest of mornings. The Shack is closed up for the winter. I long for spring.

Dreams of next year's sugaring and setting up our sugar shack put a smile on my face. Maple Madness, I truly believe it is a disease whose only cure is to breathe in the warm maple steam in the dark of early spring mornings. Four months and counting...

Being a small operation, 15 taps at best, maple sugarmaking is not a process to be rushed. And maybe that is why I love it so. The sap can only boil so fast. The process can only move so fast. Boiling days can't be hurried -- without risking the pan or the product.

Sweet rewards from lessons in patience. And when sugaring is a sweet, hopefully successful memory, our dear Shack will be waiting for us to return to spend summer days.

5 comments:

Tammy H. said...

Don't tell me I missed you again?!

Anonymous said...

We had your syrup this Sunday with homemade waffles-wouldn't use it on the store bought kind! mmmm So good.

P.H. said...

Tammy -- I have guilt as wide as the ocean. It was a surgical strike -- up and back. I promise next time -- around Christmas, if not before.

We drove past your street and I wished you well.

Tammy H. said...

Sounds great, we'll have the pot of coffee warm and waiting.

P.H. said...

Looking forward to it.