Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I'm a writer... or maybe that's a writer wannabe.

I have been working on the same book for 6 years. Not constantly, but enough so when I run into friends they ask, "How's the book is coming?" Well, on a not so recent "addition-forced" trip to the laundromat I penned the final chapter. The next day, I announced to my writing group, even buying a round of coffees, that it was finished. And now, for the last 8 weeks, maybe more, I have been trying to squeeze in the time to move it from my notebook to a hard drive. Preferably the one that already holds the previous 33 chapters.

Why is it taking me so long? Am I afraid I won't know what to do with myself when its done?

One reason for the lag is the addition, and the painting I refused to pay someone else to do. There have been days when the first thing I do in the morning is paint and the last thing I am doing before bed is still painting. Still, I would rather be several several thousands of dollars not in the hole and dissatisfied with my own lack of painting skills than poorer and have a constant source of complaining due to someone else's. So the addition work drags on. This week I polyurethaned the new steps, if the weather improves I'll finish painting the outside steps and then next week it will be tackling the entry way and kitchen. Maybe I'll be done in time for Christmas.

And I could lay blame on the lack of book work on the kids. Afterall my schedule can only be laid down after I know theirs. And when I find I have time on my hands it takes almost a full hour just to get used to the peace and quiet. The silence is almost deafening, almost.

But the truth be known, or for what I take to be truthful, the book writes itself. And we are at a standoff. I sit here and type, and the characters tell me that there has to be more. The ending is not complete. There has to be closure and I have to let Sarah and Martha find their own peace. So maybe in this peaceful quiet morning, filled with no arguing, no tattling, no whining, it will be quiet enough for me to listen to my long time good friends and finish their story.

No comments: