Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hot Out of the Toaster

"Mom, can you eat the other half of my english muffin? I don't want two."

"No sweetie, but just eat one and don't worry about the other. What do you want on it?"

"Butter."

(Next daughter enters the kitchen.)

"Sweetheart, do you want a half of an english muffin?"

"Sure."

"What do you want on it?"

"Butter."

"MOM," screams first daughter, "she's not getting my other half is she?"

"What?"

"I don't want her to get the other half of my english muffin."

"Are you going to eat it?"

"No, but I don't want her to have it."

(Insert tantrum here... as mother retreats to computer to make sure the rest of the world's mothers know how lucky they are.)

5 comments:

Steve said...

Kids are crazy little critters, aren't they?

I stick with my kids, Gary and Roberta. They share their breakfast (Iams for Kittens) and rarely complain.

Anonymous said...

This is funny, though I guess it wasn't particularly humorous for you when it happened.

Idiot Cook said...

I'm laughing out loud! Keep going with this...there's an essay here.

BTW, when is "Big Purple" appearing is Suburban Diary...or did I miss it? Methinks you might need to send a nudgey e-mail to Mr. M.

P.H. said...

I think Big Purple went the way of the Doo-doo. It was a winter essay... and we're in spring now. I was thinking of rewriting it and resubmitting.

Anonymous said...

Yes, either rewrite OR put aside until the fall with a reminder to resubmit. Actually, you could start 6 months early with national women's magazines. May as well aim high. That essay was charming.

Good for you for following up!