Friday, May 19, 2006

Is it late, or is it early?

Bad dreams always result in company. And just as sure as summer time goes hand in hand with buzzing bees, a night time guest means a sleepless night.

And it's not that I mind. It's strangely heart warming to sense those little feet padding their way to my side of the bed. From somewhere the word what hangs in the air as I wait to hear the true to form words, "I had a bad dream." A potty stop later, where there once was two, there are now three. And for hours I lay there wishing for my eyes to hold themselves closed on their own. But it never happens.

So, there is a little bundle taking over my blankets and pillow. All cozy and nestled among the warmth of our quilt. She breathes to an innocent rhythm of trust and comfort as I sit here searching for words that are still tucked away in my sleepy brain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An apt title for a 3 a.m. posting!

MBY

Idiot Cook said...

I'm wondering if the last graph qualifies as "prose poetry." It's quite poetic--love the rhythm and imagery.