Saturday, December 09, 2006

On being selfish

As the girls get older, I find I am being pulled in a million, maybe a million and two different directions at any one moment. There is play practice, Brownies, choir, dance, the other one's dance, music, their knitting projects, gluing projects, homework, school activities and volunteering, gift shopping at the mall. Just typing this abbreviated list has started my head to spin. But this past Sunday I found what I can only call a safety net. A place where I can sit and think and relax. Where I'm among friends. We smile and sometimes, after years of getting to know eachother, hug as we greet eachother.

This Advent I am going to be very selfish and make sure I get to Mass every week. For it's truly a gift when we all join voices in song and prayer. And I smile when I hear Mr. S singing. He doesn't sing often. But when one of the old standards is called for, his voice is right there.

There is a festive quiet to our gatherings. By quiet I don't mean cold silence. Our parish is far from that. But my mind is quieted as I am refreshed on life's most important lessons. And I could absolutely float away when one of the girls asks me about the reading or the homily. For they too, experienced the quiet of the season.

I'm not up on all the particulars of all the world's religions, but I think this time of year has holidays or holy days for most of them. So when the weather is coldest, and the sky darkest, we are all offered the opportunity to gather with our family, friends, and our God. To sing, pray and sit in the quiet. Be selfish. Take this time for yourself. There is more to this season than sleigh bells, snow, and maxing out credit cards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In Japan, the New Year is a very slow-paced holiday. Everything shuts down for a couple of days. The traditional foods are cooked ahead and mostly served cold, so that takes the pressure off home kitchens.