Saturday, December 16, 2006

Publishing is gravy

Gravy is good, especially on turkey. And when my book gets published, I will be especially happy. But Forever Yours has touched someone, and for that, the rest of this process is gravy.

While researching the battles of World War II, I discovered a friend's uncle, Billy Kouri, was killed at the battle of St. Lo.

"Your kidding?" I said. "That's the same battle where my character, Charles Boss, gets mortally wounded."

S smiled, and filled me in on the limited details she had. After all it was way before her time. I asked her if it was possible to get more information from her parents. She did. Details on his departure, copies of letters from the Army, and a military birthday card he sent to his little sister.

These details were woven into my book. Billy and Charles knew each other. Fought along side each other. In his letters to Martha, Charles tells his wife about Billy's death. For a while it seems that this is the last letter Martha receives from him.

With the book finished, (for the ninth time), I gave copies to S and to her parents. Two weeks later, I received a lovely note from her mom thanking me for mentioning Billy. That she was greatful for the remembrance.

No worries, V. Thank you for sharing your brother's memory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww, how sweet!