Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Post Office

It took all weekend for me to work up the courage to tackle the Post Office. A holiday must; I have been dreading the long cold lines since Black Friday. I know the whole Post Office horror could've been avoided by shopping early; shipping even earlier. But that wasn't happening this year.

The house schedule is out of control. It was only this past Sunday that I figured out what we will be eating for Christmas dinner. Usually this is well planned out weeks ago. Likewise, the annual holiday visit to the Post Office was equally delayed.

I braced myself. Comforted myself with the truth that after dropping the girls off at school, I had a whole hour and 25 minutes before I was on deck as a Mystery Reader in the library. Kisses and love distributed, I was prepared for what lay ahead. At least I thought I was.

I arrived ten minutes to opening. Already five people were ahead of me in line. Not bad. I looked up, and walking in the door was a person from the church choir. We chatted about the up coming Masses and concerts. Finding out the woman behind me was also from our parish. Next walked in the President of the local pool club.

"Great to see you."

"Good to see you, too."

Three people later a Brownie Mom walked in. "Are you ready for this week's booth sale?"

"Yes, we'll be there after I get off from work."

Next was a mom that I've known through school and walking. "Are you ready for the holidays?"

"No, are you?"

"No."

By this time I was starting to think I'm just a bit too social in this town. Or someone was setting the stage for This is Your Life Ptcakes. Finally the window opened. But for some reason the computer system was very slow with the transactions. That's okay. In walked F.C.

"Hey, F.C, I heard you liked BigMama's piece this week."

"She's a genius."

"Of course." (I have since read F.C's piece for this week and I thought my heart was going to stop. It can only be concluded that Genius recognizes Genius. Kudos to you both.)

Finally, twenty-five minutes since crossing the governmental threshold, it was my turn at the counter. Painlessly, I mailed my three packages and overseas letter. Before leaving I walked towards the end of the line to chat with F.C. On the way I said hi to CoffeeNick, the Deacon and a Church Lady.

Visiting the Post Office was a pleasant holiday surprise. The only thing that would have made it better would've been cup of Paulo's wonderful decaf gingerbread coffee.

And for everyone who couldn't make it yesterday morning, I have one more package to mail. I'll shooting for Thursday AM. I'll bring the coffee.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a nice visit to P.O.

Idiot Cook said...

You know, I was thinking about this all day yesterday...it's neat how you knew so many people, and I LOVED the fact that we chatted because before I knew it, I was at the counter!

Of course, we DID pick THE busiest day of the year for the PO, but it was fun.

And thanks for the kudos. :)