Friday, June 26, 2009

Garden Enemy Number One

A lot of strange coincidences have been happening. Well not a lot, but two... that's enough for me to say a lot.

1. My friend showing up with a rose bush as a memorial to my grandmother. I planted next to the old rose bush that inspired me to make Charles Boss be a lover of roses.

2. The Slugfest. When I visited friends on Bainbridge Island over 16 years ago, I saw my first banana slug. And as ugly and vegetatively destructive as they are, I find their visual textures beautiful. Bainbridge Island and banana slugs play promenant parts in my book. Deep down I love them both -- well, slugs only to photograph.

and maybe 3. The first printed copy of my book arrived yesterday. I will finish reading it today -- make the necessary corrections, (I have already found 5 typos...), and then put it out there for all the world to see. Roses, slugs and all...

The above slug and his six brothers, caught feasting outside of the veggie garden were pardoned.
No slugs were hurt, killed or touched during the photo shoot.

No comments: