Friday, June 05, 2009

What's brewing in your neck of the woods?


I have had this desire to cook up some hard cider for about a year now. Finally I bit the bullet, (more like remembered to buy cider when I was shopping) and set up the old faithful brewing jug and airlock.

But nothing is ever straight forward. Making things a bit different, in the Produce Section of the store, the currant juice was sitting right smack dab next to the apple cider. And as I reached for the cider I remembered dear friends that live in Belgium and the current bushes that line their property.

So my first foray into hard cider is really an experiment in making Hard Apple Currant Cider.

The directions said to add the yeast to the cider, top off the bottle with the airloc and let it ferment for a month or so. Being a scientist and realizing my yeast packet was on the old side, I added yeast nutrient, and booster, as well as a good glop of honey to the mix. And as expected the yeast population was on the low side when the culture (after all brewing is all about culture) was initiated, but it's starting to ferment with the best of them now.

If all goes according to plan, (what plan?) we should have Hard Apple Currant Cider for the fall.

And yes, if you look closely that is me in the bottle. But then, what else is new.

No comments: