Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Poetry Thursday

The Poetry Thursday assignment for this week is to take a subject out of the media. School safety is still on my mind.


Backpacks and lunch boxes
stuffed with fluff'n nutter and love.
We walk hand in hand
to the place of building blocks and story time.
Beads for counting, clay for the molding,
Word cards for writing your scariest pumpkin patch story.

I kiss and hug you. You squirm away.
Eager to join your friends.
And as I turn for the lonely journey home,
I pray that this moment is not our last.
That at the end of day, we will once again,
walk hand in hand.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

very touching. helps me to imagine the anxiety of sending a child to school these days.
so realistic that the child squirms away. I also like your listing what appear to be the contents of the child's backpack.

were you really up at 3:45 a.m.? I feel exhausted just thinking about you

Idiot Cook said...

This is wonderful, PtCakes. Love the alliteration of "building blocks" and "scariest pumpkin patch story." I agree with MBY--you capture the child's desire to "squirm away" and the parent's melancholy so beautifully.

Great work!

DawnApril said...

whew, loved it but kinda melancholy. I guess that's what you're implying - what the current events make us feel.

Anonymous said...

Oh ny what a lovely poem, it took me right back to that first day of school and all the fears, anticipation, excitment all rolled up in a big knot in my throat..thanks for the memory..M