Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Smiles

I love taking photographs. When I have the time, it is more than a hobby. It's an obsession. Lately, with or without a camera in my hand, I have been focused on the affect a smile has on the human face. The transformation that takes place when someone smiles is just amazing. I am sure you know that a smile draws the lines of a face upward. But it also brightens the eyes, and enhances the skin tone and color. The other day, while out walking, I passed a woman who's skin tone was just this side of green. I said, "Hi." She looked up, and smiled. Her eyes brightened. Her cheeks puffed and the lines on her face softened. Her skin tone pinked.

There is a real power in smiling. Both for the smilee and the viewer of the smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you serious? Does it really enhance skin tone? Is there a scientific reason for that?

P.H. said...

Absolutely, I'm serious. Try it when you are food shopping. Going for that gallon of milk, say Hi to the older lady to your left. Watch her . She'll smile and the whole tone of her face will improve. It's amazing.

And scientifically, it takes more muscles to smile than frown, so you increase blood flow to your face while smiling.

Anonymous said...

I promise to try smiling more