Wednesday, November 29, 2006

That Time of Year

As I made my way to Girl Scout Cookie University yesterday I was unequivocally reminded of what time of year it is. It was 5:45 PM and I was driving in total darkness. Now this revelation didn't just happen. The evening lights weren't suddenly shut off. Lately on Mondays, it is pitch black driving home from the girls' religious education class at 5 PM. And I have backed off playing bus driver to the children in choir (Afterall I have a Surburban and can fit them all in there.) because it's dark.

With each shadowy stint behind the wheel, I remind myself of the people in Barrow, Alaska. They don't have any sunlight for 51 days from Nov. 18th to Jan. 23rd. I am sure they don't roll up their lives, like small towns roll up their sidewalks. Maybe I have some small town bear in my heritage. Where darkness and cold are triggers to curl up with a blanket, a box of Thin Mints and good book. Or at least to warm my hands, resting them across this laptop.

Still I manage to go for "late night" walks around 8 PM. With flashlights and reflective vests we face the dark streets of our town. And they are dark. I firmly believe the street lights are just for show. To cast a warming sort of almost light -- without actually illuminating anywhere to any level of safety. Town government must have decided that no one walks anywhere these days. They drive, and cars have headlights. Well, here is some news: People still walk around here. It is common to see people lighting their way down the sidewalk with flashlights. I wonder if Barrow has this problem?

So to the people of Barrow, good luck, stay warm and safe. Someday, in the winter's darkness I will come up for a visit. I just hope you have a taxi service, because I really don't like driving in the dark --whether it be day or night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered becoming a community activist for street lights?

Oh, but where would you fit that in on top of all of your other activities.... I take back my suggestion.