Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Heat Is On!

Heat is an amazing thing. (Humidity is something else.)

Last week, when our corn plants were no bigger than over grown crab grass, I thought I must have planted midget corn. But these last couple of days, with all this heat, they've been shooting towards the sky, and starting to look more like their midwest cousins.

When I lived in Illinois, the corn would grow so fast that the farmers said, if you stopped along the side of the road, you could hear it grow. I tried this a couple of times, and I'd have to agree. Corn fields can be noisy. But our garden holds only a dozen or so plants, so I doubt you'd hear much over the double row of beans right next door to them. Who have also started a growth spurt with all this heat.

I love having a garden. Watching it grow. Leaning over to listen for leaf expansions. Sending the girls out to pick the fruit of our weeding and watering labors. Cooking with fresh herbs. There is something about living closer to the land rather than the super market. A magic cover of calm and freshness the permeates the kitchen and fills our bellies.

No comments: