Sunday, June 10, 2007

What brings tears to my eyes


I chaperoned my daughter's Brownie troop to Washington, DC for the Girl Scout National sing-a-long this weekend. It was a wonderful event, but I'll blog on that later. Touring the monuments prior to the event, as we walked through the World War II Memorial, I was crying. I had to find the Massachusetts pillar. I absolutely had to photograph the plaque remembrance of the Battle of St. Lo.
Special Private First Class Billie Kouri from Worcester, MA and Lt. Charles Boss died as a result of their injuries at the battle of St. Lo. Billie Kouri was real flesh and blood; the uncle of a friend. Charles Boss is a fictious character from my book. He lived only in my heart. For both, I cried.
It is so amazing how real Charles is, to me. I close my eyes and I see Martha and Charles walking in the St. Louis botanical gardens, strolling along the Mississippi River, marrying in a quiet ceremony at their home in Stockbridge , MA. I can visualize the rocking chair, and the cold breezes that blew through their house. The loneliness they carried.
Thursday, I received an email from an agent asking for the first chapter. For the two and a half days we were in DC, I wondered if a request for more was sitting in my inbox. When I got home... it was the "Thanks, but no thanks, email that greeted me."
It's okay. Charles Boss is the Caretaker. He's as real as you and me. And he'll take care of everything.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, PTC, you're on your way to finding an agent. You've had one expression of interest. It's just a matter of time until someone comes through.

Idiot Cook said...

I totally agree with MBY--and it's STILL exciting that you got a bite so fast!! As Miss Snark says, "query widely"--keep sending out those query letters!!! You WILL get a yes.