Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Part 32

It was after lunch before Dr. Houseman said it was okay for Charlotte to travel by wheel chair to visit Jenny. All morning, Sam, still indignant Sarah, and Lovie, being as lovable as ever, bounced between the two rooms. Watching HGTV with Mom and Cartoon Network with Jenny. Charlie had taken Angie back to the Panchot's to get a change of clothes for her and Charlotte, who noted, "I might be in the hospital but I still like my own pjs."

Upon wheeling into Jenny's room, Charlotte was met with shouts and cheers, "Mommy's here!" It was Jenny leading the chorus. Charlotte smiled. It was a blessing to see her daughter happy and bright again.

"How's the arm?"

Jenny waved it about, "Fine, see."

It was fine. Charlotte couldn't see any signs of paralysis, and was momentarily memorized by the fine finger motions her daughter was making in the air.

"Did you have lunch?"

A smile spread across Jenny's face. "Daddy brought me a salami sub, and chips."

"I didn't get that!"

Her daughter's smile spread further. "Daddy loves me more."

From behind her wheelchair Charlotte heard Sam clearing his throat.

"It must be true," was Charlotte's light response. It was what her middle child needed to hear.

"Oh," added Sam, "I can honestly say that you all have a hold on my heart. " And then from behind his back he put pints of their favorite Ben and Jerry's, with spoons, in front of them.

"Chunky Monkey," screamed Jenny.

"Phish Food," gushed Charlotte.

Then two more pints appeared, one chocolate, and one coffee for Lovie and Sarah.

"Aren't you having some?" asked Lovie with chocolate leaking out from between her lips.

Sam smiled. "Let's just say I'm batting clean up."

"Not if I have anything to say about it," said Charlotte, who was picking the chocolate fish out of the ice cream mix. "In my gentle condition, I could take you on pint for pint, and win."

The hospital was full of half frozen laughter when Dr. Reid walked in.

"I see someone else has learned of the healing powers buried at the bottom of every pint of Ben and Jerry's."

"Really?" asked Lovie.

"Ya, really," commented Sarah, rolling her eyes so far that she almost lost her balance.

"Of course, " answered the doctor. "Usually after eating an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's a patient is ready to go home, or at least be transfered out of ICU."

Jenny dug in deeper. "Well then, I'm well on my way."

(11458 -- geesh...)

No comments: