Friday, November 16, 2007

Part 40

When Charlotte woken up, Sam was sitting next to her, rubbing his eyes with his hands. His eyes and face were red. His cheeks were still wet from what had to be tears.

"Sam," she called in a sleepy voice.

At the sound of her voice, her husband burst into tears. "Oh Charlotte, I thought I was going to lose you." His shoulders heaved. His whole body shaking so much that it looked like he'd fall off his chair.

"It's okay Sam. It's going to be okay," reassured Charlotte.

"Dr. Houseman said the baby is miraculously still attached to the placenta, but that you could lose it anytime. OH CHARLOTTE! I can't lose you."

Charlotte smiled. She loved her man. "Everything is going to be okay. Mary told me."

She pushed herself to talk above her husband's sobs. "When I was on the table, I dreamed I was visiting Mary the Mother of God in a hotel room. She was playing cards with three other women and they told me everything was going to be okay. That it wasn't my time, and that our son needed me."

Sam had stopped sobbing and was now intent on what his wife was saying. He was not a believer, but supported Charlotte's choice to take the girls to church and send them to religious education classes.

Very relaxed and serene Charlotte reached up and stroked the side of her husband's face. "Everything is going to be okay."

(14128)

No comments: