Thursday, November 15, 2007

Part 35

For most of the afternoon Charlotte was propped up in the hospital bed, hunched over her laptop, and burning away at the keys. She stopped typing for the nurses to take her vitals and when Sam brought them large coffees. After that first sip, her shoulders relaxed and a glazed look came over her eyes. "Just how I like it."

Sam looked to see if the coast was clear for a playful banter before saying, "I thought only sex could put that look on your face."

Charlotte smiled and retorted, "Yup, sex or good coffee; the only two ways to my heart."

"I'm sure when you get home, we can find a few more ways."

"If I'm not mistaken is was that type of exploring that got me into the hospital."

Sam took a good long sip before asking, "Any idea of when you're getting out?"

Before she answered, "I don't know," Charlotte could've sworn the coffee was having the same effect on him.

Then through the door came Dr. Houseman. "Is that Annie's coffee I smell. There is none better." He took out his stethoscope and listened to her heart. He looked through her chart and seemed to scribble across a few pages.

Cutting into the doctor's sharp motions, Charlotte asked, "Any ideas of when I can fly this coop?"

His reply was, "Any ideas just how hard it is to stay in bed at home?"

"Total bed rest, as in no cooking, cleaning, driving to church functions, PTO meetings, or Girl Scouts, food shopping or the dump?"

"Especially the dump, but all of the later too."

Charlotte looked to Sam, who looked to Dr. Houseman, who was still looking at Charlotte, waiting for a real answer.

(12514)

No comments: