Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Relax, and regroup for it's Tuesday

Always with the first day back from vacation there is tension. It's a Monday, which is the worst possible day here, with religious ed., track, clarinet and dinner and dance, all after school. Pick up and drop offs have to be made with precision, or we have a domino effect.

Yesterday after religious ed., the track star was not waiting for the pick up. I waited 15 minutes. Called the shut off cell phone 3 times, then left to go home and make dinner. Or it should be, finish cooking dinner, as most of it was cooked before religious ed. Almost home my mobile rings. "I'm ready to be picked up." My reply, "I was there. Now I need to get dinner made so the dance run can be made, and then I'll be back."

Silence. The star knew it would be 30 minutes or more before my headlights would shine upon her building again. Monday is tight. What can I tell you.

I bolted into the house. Commanded the kitchen table be cleared of school debris and readied for dinner. Set the potatoes to cook. Set a timer. Reheated the squash. Tossed the meat onto the table, announced, "When the timer goes off, dinner will be ready," and then left with clarinet in hand to take the star to her lessons. Half way back to school I realized she'd be hungry, and thought I should have brought a granola bar or a piece of fruit. Next time; hopefully there won't be a next time.

Star wasn't happy to see her instrument on the car seat. "I'm going right to my lesson?"

"Yes."

She assured me, her tardiness was not her fault. I replied, "I know," but with four other people in the family, the schedule marches on.

After dropping her off, I walked into a kitchen with half eaten meals still on plates and a note: We left the dishes so we can finish eating when we got back.

Mondays are not pretty. We really have to do something about them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys ate? My family I have no idea what they did. I got stuck at work until late and the family was off to appointments so I think that some of them went to McD while I ate lettuce when I got home. Then I had and apple and about 1/2 dozen store bought cookies that I found in the cabinet. Think the jewel will notice?

bro

Anonymous said...

We all have days like that with kids' busy schedules. I have often had the "be in two places at once" thing going on and someone had to be dropped off either earlier or got picked up later. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Update -

The Jewel found out! with a comment, "What are you giving up for Lent?"

She is shrewd.

Have a good day,
Love ya bro