Friday, February 17, 2012

The things we do for love

My joy is being a caregiver, a companion. For a few hours a day I run errands, clean, fold laundry, sort shoes, or visit. Chatting over coffee and ... Sharing and listening.

It's lovely. My clients are so grateful for the companionship that they want to feed me: breakfast, lunch, snack, coffee, candy. All the time, eat, eat, eat more. It goes with the Italian territory, which I fully understand, being Italian. I've sat at my grandmother's kitchen table many a morning, noon, or night. The coffee and obligate plate of cookies at the ready.

As part of my joy I accept a first slice, and linger over each bite. Stretching out the eating to fill our time. All the while, politely refusing the offer to eat more - for my health.

The things we do for love.

No comments: