Thursday, October 16, 2008

Another Memory

I'm repainting our garage. At first it was just the trim by the roof line that would get a new coat, and then the shingles, and now I am working on the whole thing at once, trim, body, windows, doors and frames. I never do anything small; a bad habit of mine.

Yesterday, while putting the second coat on most of the trim, while pondering just how high the roof peak is, I noticed the windows need to be reglazed. The word reglazed would have you assume there is glaze there to begin with. Glaze that needs replacing. These windows are so old, their glaze has gone the way of the dinosaur. So while the paint by the roof line was drying, below I scraped one of the window frames and cleaned the glass to glaze it.

It was great being outside. Being active, and breathing in the fresh Fall air. Taking care of the garage was a summer job that has hung over my head, two years. And as I was out there working I remembered when I first learned how to glaze windows. I was in high school, and visiting my grandparents in Pennsylvania. Grampa was working on their garage 12 paner where he not only showed me what to do, but let me try it. It was fun to make the window look new again.

So, now as I scrape, and plan to do the priming and then final painting when the threat of showers passes, I remembered that afternoon with Grampa making what was old look new again.

No comments: