Thursday, October 30, 2008

What's a writer to do?

I'm looking for advice here.

Over the past year I wrote several articles for a free local glossy magazine (Metrowest Magazine). It was a lovely run. I enjoyed interviewing people and flexing my writing muscles. I was lucky on one hand, the assignments came in, but on the other -- payment never seemed to follow.

This summer the magazine stopped publication. Both the editor and myself have queried the publisher for my due. He seemingly ignores these emails. So, I went through my records, and resent a list of past due invoices. Giving him 30 days to respond or I would seek alternative means for payment.

But what is a freelance writer to do? Small claims court? Collection agency? This whole situation puts a real damper on writing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you declared the income in the past for the articles then I would fire off a complaint to small claims court and hang the press to the same standards that they hold our politians too. Now, if you have not claimed income then I would suggest that you chalk it up to experience and let it go. Either way, it is an experience that could work its way into you next book.
If you do go by the way of small claims court then you better do it quickly. Most publications are going under with chapter 11 bankrupcy and you will be out of luck because you were considered a contractor and employees get first dibs on the carcass and if any is left then it goes to the highest bidder. Even though I like the way you write and I Love your thought provoking articles and ways of presenting humanity. I do not think that you are biggest invoice they have sitting in the stack.

Good Luck and God Bless

P.H. said...

Then you pay me the lost wages.

Anonymous said...

If you need it, then I will find a way to get you the money. Call me
Love,
bro

P.H. said...

SO, you're the one suggesting I forget three months pay!

No worries -- I'll sort this out someway.

Anonymous said...

No, I am not telling you to forgo three months pay. I am telling you your options are limited. Could you see filing suit and winning and then having the government hit you for penalties, fees and taxes after you get paid. It just might be not worth it. Do you need to get your head chopped off for retribution of a black eye?

kris said...

Did you have a written contract with this magazine? Or even emails documenting what you were going to produce and for what compensation? You might have a case if you do.

Anonymous said...

From what I've read, small claims court is probably the route to go.

Good luck!