Thursday, October 02, 2008

What's Important Here

When I've watching TV or looking at photographs I find myself asking, "What's important here? What works in this picture or framing? What makes or breaks my attention?" In this image the broken stick is distracting.

What I've discovered from viewing the photographic works of others is, you don't always have to see everything; the whole butterfly, a person's complete face. Using light, shadow and cropping the viewers attention can be focused. Distractions eliminated.

The photo above is an over exaggeration. Cropped tightly and all but the orange/yellow downplayed, my attention is first drawn to the wings then to the body. Do I think this is good? Not especially -- for me it misses the mark. Something is not right... So I played around a bit more, darkening the background.
It still may or may not cut the mustard, but it's fun to be able to play about with the images.

No comments: