Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Yard Sales and Lil' Black Dresses

I have a thing for yard sales and little black dresses. Even though I hardly ever go to yard sales, and I can't remember the last time I wore my tried and true little black dress of ten years. (Maybe it was 5 years ago at a niece's wedding.)

I love finding a bargain. Bringing home treasures for the girls, and rare books for the guy. But yard sale plowing takes time, and I generally don't have a lot of it.

But two years ago I started working the annual church yard sale. An event where neighbors and people from the parish drop off their not so prized possessions and we sell them; funneling the profits into the Youth Ministry. Last year a very small black dress with sparklies sewn into the material made the scene. I needed a dress for the Christmas concert, so I snatched it up for a dollar, if that. The day of the concert, I opted for a less slinky attire. Even so, the dress still hangs in my closet. Waiting for the right moment.

This year a velvet number was delivered. And once again it found its way into my stash. But this year I do have a pending event or two where this number could be put to good use.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wear one of those dresses, soon!