Monday, February 19, 2007

It Starts

I tapped today. I went to old reliable, drilled a hole and the sap ran. Very sweet, sweet sap. Slowly... but it was there. So I tapped all our trees. Ten taps. With all the sacredness usually reserved for a Sunday, I drilled, hammered and hung buckets.

The other intown sugarer agreed with me, that this was it. I was so happy to hear he'd be tapping. Health issues had kept him from sugaring for two years. And lucky me, he'll be over sometime to see our set up. There are so few of us; us sugarers need to stick together.

In January, if you asked me if there was going to be a season this year, I could not have given you a hopeful answer. The delightful warm weather was rushing in spring. A circumstance that is not good for sugaring. Now that the taps are set, I suspect the season will be quite short, with the buds ready to burst from the warm January.

Still, this is the best time of the year. I can't wait to light the burner and start the process of turning sap into syrup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hurray!

Enjoy yourself!

Idiot Cook said...

Yes! And you never know...I may just venture for a walk one more this week to check out your set up. Are you literally out there at 5 and 6 am???

P.H. said...

I'll let you know when a boil is scheduled. Would love to see you.