Monday, February 12, 2007

Thermometer Watching













Everyday it's the same thing, wake up, find my glasses, log onto the Weather Channel. It will be this way for a while I suspect. It's funny how the thermometer runs our lives, and our sleep. In December and January panic ran through my veins, Would there be a sugaring season? Now with temperatures holding in the 20's and low 30s I wonder, When will it start?

Last year we we had incredibly warm weather in January. So much so, on Feb. 4th we went out to tap one tree to see what was happening, and the sap was running. So we tapped them all. It was a full three weeks earlier than the year before. Now this year... I look at the 10 day forecast, and wait for the temperatures to shift. As of today, we won't be tapping until after Feb. 21st.

Usually, the rule of thumb is to tape in March. So it's still early. There is still time. But it's coming. Soon there will be the sweet smell of maple in the air, and fresh lovely syrup for our pancakes. I am dying for a hot cup of half-syrup. It's a different world when your day starts outside at 4 AM. Except for the hissing of the boil, there is not a sound. No cars. And then the sun comes up. Be still my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad somebody enjoys this cold!

have you ever thought of writing a poem about maple sugaring? It seems to inspire your lyrical side