Saturday, February 24, 2007

Mother - Daughter Quilt













I'll be the first to admit I had doubts about surviving February break. The girls had one snow day this year. And after the initial 20 minutes of glee, it was sibling rivalry to the max. So much so, I threatened to send them to school, with or without teachers. So, 5 days home, actually 9 days -- including the weekends, seemed daunting.

Usually, February break we have big plans. Multiple overnights to see friends in Pennsylvania. Leisure stays with aunts and uncles down the Cape. We even went to Florida one year. This year we were home. I started frantically planning. One day at the Science Museum, (after reading the museum vacation week survival guide), visiting a friend and her new baby one morning, a walk with another friend on another day. The schedule was far from full. But shouldn't vacations be that way.

Then the request came. "Mom, can we make a quilt?"

I don't sew, nevermind quilt. Oh, I keep a sewing machine in our attic, but it's mainly to prove that I am indeed a mom. Much the same as the package of Swiffers I keep at the ready. Incase the urge to dust arises.

Then the response, "Sure, we can give it a try."

We pulled out the bag of scrap material my expert quilter mother sent over; just in case the girls want to start a project. We pulled out and Swiffered off the sewing machine. Amazingly, it worked. Everything laid out and ready, my quilting partner opted to watch a movie.

"No worries," I said. "Go head, I'll just see how this is all going to work."

Three hours later, I'm still at the machine, working a green motif, when my partner emerges from her movie.

"Is that movie really that long?" I asked.

"No," she sheepishly replied. "I missed a spot, so I used scene selection and then played it again."

She must've replayed it from the opening credits.

Anyway... we started her quilting in purples and pinks. For three days, okay more like the better part of two and a half days, we measured, cut, sewed, ironed, and tied. And in the end we had a wonderful February break, and a mother - daughter quilt to remember it by.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very pretty

Anonymous said...

So cool, PTCakes! If not now, then when???? XO Prajna